Cecil Cinema

Corner of Anlaby Road and Ferensway, HU1 2NR. Grid B3.

On 28 November 1955, the new Cecil Cinema was opened by John Davis (Managing Director of the J. Arthur Rank Organisation) and his film star wife, Dinah Sheridan. The new Cecil Cinema was opposite the site of the original one, which was destroyed in the Blitz, and it was the first cinema in England to be completed on a new site after the war. The new Cecil housed the largest screen in the country, as well as having stereoscopic sound and a cafe. It was designed by local architects Gelder and Kitchen, built by Spooners Ltd in only seven months, and won a RIBA Bronze medal for exceptional merit.

NEXT – William Hay ➜