Festival House

Foundation stone in Jameson Street,HU1 3JJ. Grid B2

Hull was very badly bombed during World War II, and a major rebuilding programme was needed. On 1st May 1951, the foundation stone of Festival House was laid, to commemorate the first permanent building to be built in the city centre since the 1941 Blitz. Placed under the stone was a time capsule containing coins, stamps, a Festival of Britain programme (this was a national festival taking place in 1951), a copy of that day’s Hull Daily Mail, and a booklet about the city. Festival House was owned by Hull Corporation on behalf of the people of Hull.

NEXT – Amy Johnson ➜